Who Are We
In 1983 the Sandgate and District Historical Society was formed by interested residents wanting to preserve the history of the Sandgate District.
In 1993 the Society purchased the building at 150 Rainbow Street Sandgate, which it still occupies. The name was then changed to The Sandgate and District Historical Society and Museum Inc.
The Society is a non-profit organisation whose purpose is to safeguard the community’s memories. These memories are made up of photographs, written histories, stories and an eclectic collection of objects.
The goal of the Society is to continually grow our collections and extend our research while at the same time promote interest within our community.
We conserve and display our collections for the purposes of study, education and enjoyment.
The Historical museum holds researched information on topics ranging from churches to sports, from local identities to colourful rogues, businesses, houses, entrepreneurs, cinemas and theatrical groups.
What We Do
The Sandgate and District Historical Society
- Collects photographs and other pictorial material illustrating the history, houses, changes and people of the district.
- Engages with the community to preserve our heritage.
- Strives to make the museum a recognized community asset and to be a highly respected source for research and the storage of historical records.
- Shares our history with the community through interactive talks, displays, presentations and guided historical walks.
- Supports the local school’s curriculum with visits to the museum and incursions.
- Actively researches local history.
The Guided Historical Walks with Pam Verney start at 9:30AM an easy walk takes about 2 hours.
Cost per person $25 and includes morning tea. Bookings are essential.
Ring the museum Wednesday or Sunday or other times leave a message.
Museum – 3869 2283.
Management Meeting commencing at 9:30AM on the third Monday of each month. All members welcome to attend and participate in discussions.
August 17 @ 9:30 am - 11:30 am
Sandgate Historical Society
150 Rainbow Street,
Sandgate, QLD, Australia, 4017
Phone : 07 3869 2283
Email : email@example.com
Web : Sandgate Historical Society